How To Come Up With A Voice Actor Rate Card
Dec 02, 2019
So, what exactly is a voice actor rate card anyway? A VO rate card is simply a chart, document, graph, etc. that outlines monetary prices to work with you and to license your work.
Why is it important?
- Your business is supposed to make money. Without knowing how much you are charging and what you can expect, you will not be able to grow a profitable enterprise.
- Consistency - There needs to be a consistent customer experience so they can trust in your name
How is a rate card formatted (Simple example)
A. Rates determined by length of the script:
- 5 words (2 seconds)
- 50 words (20 seconds)
- 500 words (3 minutes)
- 5000 words (33 minutes)
- 50,000 words (5.5 hours)
B. Broadcast Rates and Sizes Online
- 10,000 people
- 100,000 people
- 1M people
- 10M people
- 100M people
How do you price your rate card?
3 ways to do it:
- Industry Standards: GVAA is a great place to start your search
- What are your operating costs
- What are the trending rates on the platform you are on?
Do you post it?
- Do you believe in transparency? Some people believe in a no-hassle type of interaction. This would be like car dealerships that post one price, and that is final.
- Do you believe in deal-making? You might be someone that believes in making deals to get business. Posting your prices wouldn't be a good idea in this scenario.
Either way, it is important for you to have a handle on what your business stands for to determine a course of action.
Why are prices so different among VO’s?
The reality is, there are more one person voice actor run businesses now than ever before. With all of these different businesses, come a wide range of operating costs and beliefs.
Also, with the world market now at the tip of everyone's fingers, global competition is on. Nations believe in different things and we have to decide if we will do business with them or not.